- HOW TO BUY AT AUCTION-
LIVE IN PERSON
- To register for a paddle, please download and complete our registration form and submit back to us via email or fax [310.315.9688].
- Please note that your credit card information is used only to secure your registration. SMA does not accept payment via credit cards. Further payment instructions below.
ABSENTEE AND TELEPHONE BIDDING
- Absentee bids- SMA will bid on your behalf and attempt to purchase the lot at the lowest price possible up to the maximum bid authorized. Please check the available box to authorize SMA to bid one additional increment to win the lot.
- Phone bids- Please list the appropriate contact number(s) and a member of the SMA staff will call you during the auction to bid live with you on the phone.
- A digital, continually-updated catalogue (allowing SMA to accept spectacular, last-minute additions) will be available online approximately one month prior to the sale. Live bidders will receive a printed catalogue to reference during the sale.
- Estimates are established as a guide for bidders. A bid within the high and low estimate range should, in our opinion, offer a chance of success. However, many lots achieve prices below or above the pre-sale estimates.
CONDITIONS OF SALE
- SMA will provide condition reports for any lot upon request via email.
- While condition reports are prepared as thoroughly as possible, our staff are not professional restorers or conservators. We recommend all prospective buyers either personally inspect each lot or retain a professional adviser to report on the condition on your behalf.
- Congratulations on your winning bid! If you attend the auction in person, please visit the check-out desk to receive your invoice and pay via cash or pre-approved personal check. If your winning bid was placed online or with a phone/absentee, you will receive an invoice via email shortly after the sale.
- Payment is due within five business days after the auction. SMA accepts payment via cash, cashier's check or wire transfer. If you wish to pay via personal check, we ask that you wait until the funds clear our account before we release your winning lots for pick-up, unless other arrangements are made in advance.
- Payment by Check- all checks should be made payable to Santa Monica Auctions.
- Payment by Wire Transfer
Buyer's Premium: SMA charges a buyer’s premium of 25% on the hammer price of each lot sold. Bids made online via Liveauctioneers are subject to a 30% buyer's premium. Bids made online via BIDSQUARE are subject to a 26.5% buyer's premium.
Sales Tax: Unless the buyer has delivered a valid certificate evidencing exemption from tax, each lot is subject to applicable California sales tax (9.5%).
TRANSPORT & SHIPPING
- SMA will wrap purchased lots for hand-carry only.
- Shipping and pick-up arrangements are to be coordinated and paid for by the buyer. Here is our list of recommended shippers and art handlers.
- To ensure proper handling, SMA will only release artwork with client authorization. Please email or call Santa Monica Auctions to confirm your shipping arrangements.